Monthly Archives: April 2014
Back to eating right, back to taking time off for myself, back to knitting and back to lifting.
Benchmarks were split up into two weeks, which I was really happy about. I realize it’s been about four months since my last post but I haven’t been to CrossFit nearly enough for my liking. I guess Lent will do that to a girl.
I’m having a bit of an issue with the workouts lately. I’m not getting enough endurance from them because they’re too short. I think the longest WOD was a benchmark that took me over 20 minutes to complete. The WODs lately have been capped at 12 or 17 minutes which makes it really hard for me to get into that ‘fat burning anaerobic’ spot where I feel exhausted and completely worn out by the end. Lately I’ve just been feeling like my body just gives out before my mind can give out. My hip flexor hurts, my knee kills, my hands are about to rip…that sort of crap. I’m not to the point of failure; I’m not to the point where I want to cry because it hurts so bad; I just feel stupid and fat and useless and wishing I had spent more time with the foam roller pre-WOD.
Which is why I’m always happy during benchmark week because the WODs take longer. We do The Girls and Heroes which can take less than 10 minutes, but still hurt and are very effective at making me feel like death.
I didn’t make any major PRs this time around, but I was able to do Fran with smaller bands than last time which I was really happy with.
I did make major gains, though.
- I demolished my hope for a 125 pound back squat by getting all the way up to 145 before time ran out. I could have totally gotten to 150 pounds.
- I did THREE touch and go Cleans at 120 pounds. Boyfriends’ 1RM is 170. I told him when I eventually can power clean more than him he will get the “My Girl is Stronger than ME” shirt from Life as RX.
- I met my goal of a 125 pound front squat and only stopped because my form fell apart. When my knees caved in and my back felt like it was rounding, I stopped.
- I got an 85 pound push jerk PR (still 15 pounds short of my goal)
- I completed a 110 split jerk, and later in the week did a 115 clean and jerk.
- I did Nancy in 21:09 (with a 500m row and a 45 pound bar), Jackie in 11:21 (with a 35 pound KB Squat (stupid knee) and ring rows), Fran in 10:58 (with 45 pounds on the bar and a blue and thin green band for most of it, a thick green for the end), Helen in 13:20 (with rowing and ring rows) and, in February, Tabata Something Else with 331 reps with ring rows.
So yeah. Lots of gains so far this year. I’m really looking forward to another PR. It’s like I’m a newbie again! I don’t know what it is about this year but I’m just getting better as time goes on. It feels great.