Death before DNF

It’s been a really rough week here at Casa del Amanda.

1. The CrossFit Games were absolutely fantastic. I’ll write up a post all about it in just a bit!

2. Upon coming home, I was thrown into a very hectic and stressful week of meetings with work. I found nausea and migraines were on the menu. I had a short flu that Boyfriend was so sweet and supportive over. He slept on the couch on Tuesday after putting me to bed early with a fever.

3. Wednesday was when the real nausea started. I had shrimp for dinner on my way to BCF. First problem.

4. We had a good WOD at Badger CrossFit and I was seriously beaten after it. Row 500m. 30 air squats. 25 wall balls. 20 pull ups. 15 knees to elbows. Row 500m. All done in 15:35. I was the last one to finish but at this point I just don’t care about finishing last anymore. I just want to be finishing.

5. The last 500m row was done in 2:15! It probably wasn’t best since I was exhausted and ready to stop half-way through. I needed a break but Tyler was next to me pushing me through the last ten pulls. It was hard, I was breathless and sweating profusely.

6. I fought Pukie the clown the whole ride home, laid down on the couch and managed to settle my stomach.

7. I was sick all day the next day, threw up before lunch, didn’t eat or drink anything all day Thursday and felt so weak after work. Boyfriend stopped at the store after visiting Badger CrossFit for the OLY lifting class (which I pushed him to go to) and brought saltines, gluten/wheat free and organic crackers and some organic cinnamon and apples oatmeal to go with my 7-up and pedialite diet that mom had brought me.

8. I got an e-mail Friday morning from my boss with issues with me. I felt sick and the room was spinning. I was working hard on the things I had been given so I responded saying my health needed to be my first priority. The boss came into my office and we decided to part ways. As soon as he left my office, I ran to the bathroom and threw up. I packed up my things and went home, crashed on the couch and slept for the next three hours and, you know what? I felt amazing upon waking up to my mother calling me. My stomach had settled and my headache was gone.

9. Mom and I think it’s all psychological. My heart and my mind were telling me that this job wasn’t at all what I wanted to do with my life. I wasn’t writing; I wasn’t WORKING. Sure the money and benefits were amazing, but I couldn’t justify working at a job where my passions weren’t being used in any way. I didn’t fit there at all and it was clear that I wasn’t meant to be there. My brain and stomach and mind were telling me I needed to be out of there.

10. I called the temp agency and they’re hopefully going to call me in a couple days with a temp job. I’m working on updating my resume and I’ve been working on some freelance stuff in the meantime.

11. The whole weekend, I’ve been slowly trying to get food into my system. I’ve managed to get proteins down in the form of chicken, turkey burgers and no name steak burgers but have been afraid to fill my stomach with too much food. Mom and I went to Jimmy Johns for dinner on Saturday but I got nauseated, probably from the processed food there, so I couldn’t handle it much further than a couple bites. I weighed myself before going to Mom’s house and realized I had lost 6 pounds in a day and a half.

12. My boobs are noticeably smaller. As well as a lot of other parts of my body… but still. My bras don’t fit anymore. Luckily Boyfriend responded with “I’d still love you, even if they fell off!”

13. I slept on Mom’s floor/couch Saturday night instead of going to Boyfriend’s. BAD IDEA. My back twinged for a good portion of the next day and my headache was still going slightly. Though it was the best sleep I’d had in a really long time.

14. Sunday was a slow day but I was starting to feel better. Mom suggested I might have an ulcer, which would explain why a higher stress level would make the pain higher. I stopped at Walgreens and got some Prilosec and read the directions thoroughly. Boyfriend came over, we snuggled up and watched The Great Escape and had burgers for dinner. I made up some peppers and onions with his and only had one burger because I didn’t want to over-do it.

15. Monday I should have drank more water. I didn’t realize how dehydrated I was until I left the comforting AC of my apartment and went to the 105 degree weather of Badger CrossFit. I barely made it through the skills and my back twinged enough that my muscles spasmed and tightened up so I couldn’t even do a Burpee. The AMRAP 8 Medicine Ball Clean and Burpee (10 each) wasn’t bad in theory but I couldn’t do it. I finished one full set, crying during the Burpees because I was so mad at my body. I massaged at my back after every few Burpees and felt decent enough to get another few done. I didn’t DNF… so that’s what I cared about. I know, I know… leave your ego at the door. I couldn’t when it came to DNFing.

16. My back is all kinds of sore and stiff. I called and made a massage appointment for this afternoon. After the appointment I’ll be going to Sports Authority to get some Kinetic Tape which will help keep the muscles warm and not angry so my back can heal properly. I can feel the herniated discs so I think a massage will do it a lot of good. I can’t tell if this is the discs hurting or if it’s the surrounding muscles. All I know is that bending is a good hurt. It’s nowhere near the kind of pain I’d experienced previously.

17. Boyfriend is illin tonight. I think I got him sick with the flu or some variation of stomach flu. After the massage, I’m going to pick up some soup from Panera and bring him some 7-up and pedialite and saltines and finally be the one to take care of him.

Damn. What an update! I’ll be writing up something about the Games next!


About Amanda

I knit only when I'm not drinking coffee, sleeping or lifting heaving things and putting them back down. I'm a freelance writer and I adore my job. I don't write about this, though I do and am obsessed with CrossFit. I eat Primal and love cooking. I write about both of these things. I greatly appreciate your feedback and comments! If you like what you've seen in my blogs, please feel free to message me here or on Ravelry, or e-mail me at I have patterns for sale! Go to Ravelry and search KnitEatLift and you'll find my patterns. The store is always growing and soon will have more patterns to purchase. I hope you enjoy them.

Posted on July 24, 2012, in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: