Days 1-4

I have successfully managed to make it through four days of Paleo.

This may not seem like a lot, but for me to go four days without dairy, grains or sugars is a big thing.

So since we’re a little behind, here’s a catch up of the last week.

Sunday, Boyfriend showed me how to do a proper squat. I was used to only doing a 4-inch squat so going all the way to parallel while also keeping my chest and head up and leaning back on my heels was quite the task. Wiggling my toes also made my fingers wiggle. Boyfriend found this quite funny… and I hope just a little endearing.

Monday I joined the Paleo and Crossfit groups on Ravelry and started reading. All weekend I had been looking at Paleo recipes and I felt I was ready to get started. Monday should have been day 1 but I had creamer in my coffee, a latte later in the day and a sandwich for lunch with cheese and a wheat wrap. Dinner was good and paleo though in the form of a Jimmy John’s Unwich!  25 squats were done and I held three of them in the bottom position for about 10 seconds each. My quads were on fire.

Tuesday was Day 1 officially. I started with two scrambled eggs and three large strawberries. It kept me sustained but the Rav crowd said it wasn’t enough. I decided to add another egg and a few slices of bacon. I ran out of time to make lunch for Tuesday but I trolled the food court menus to see what I could find. A large citrus salad with onions and chicken would be just the ticket.

This would have been a good idea had the place not closed previously. Much previously. Instead I found a salad-building place and got a big salad of greens, bell and banana peppers, broccoli, carrots and cucumber and extra chicken. I had it topped off with balsamic vinaigrette. He put a lot of it on the salad though so when I go again I’ll ask for less.

Dinner was quite the event. I went to the store and got three pounds of ground beef, chicken breasts and sweet italian sausages. Boyfriend was coming over and I wanted to do something special. I whipped up my family’s recipe for marinara sauce and put a package of hot italian sausages in. I then grilled up a large chicken breast and, as Boyfriend walked through the door, I was putting asparagus in the grill pan with olive oil and salt and pepper. The marinara sauce  went well with everything on the plate and I still had a ton left over. I then made up the three pounds of meat into meatballs and added a good amount of them to the sauce. They would make a yummy lunch for the rest of the week.

Boyfriend and I set to emptying the fridge and pantry of all non-paleo items. I filled three paper grocery bags and one plastic bag of dairy items to take to Moms. The rest will either be sent to a food pantry or I’ll bring them to work to pawn them off on people.

Tuesday was a rest day since I couldn’t walk much without pain. Sitting down to go to the bathroom was proving difficult as it was.

Wednesday we started with a very healthy meal. Boyfriend and I split six eggs and four slices of bacon, cooked soft. Fat is my friend! Three more strawberries finished the meal.

I drank coffee black for the first time in years. It was bitter and left a dry taste in my mouth. I wasn’t about to cave just for the small things like that in life. I was determined to stay as strict as possible for this first month and day three was not a day to start letting cracks show. I was able to walk much more easily and my quads didn’t hurt nearly as much.

Wednesday was not my friend. I had read from a Raveler that I should look out for the “Carb Flu” and that it would hit soon. I didn’t think it would happen to me but all I could think about all day was potato chips. Popcorn. Rolls. It was awful. I was spacey and grumpy for a majority of the day. I had sausage and meatballs with carrots and lots of water. When I felt munchy, I re-filled my water bottle. Dinner was a salad from Subway for my visit with my Mom and the kittens, George and Louie. I got extra chicken and my munchies went away. When I got home I did 25 squats and held another three. I felt like my form wasn’t getting better since my quads seemed to be doing all the work rather than my hamstrings. I texted Boyfriend and he said he’d look at it.

Thursday I woke up with a killer headache. I made my normal breakfast and had the last cooked hot sausage and meatballs for lunch with a side of broccoli and guacamole. That Wholy Guacamole! stuff is actually really good! I noticed that my steps were much lighter and that I wasn’t pounding on the floor with every step like I was the week before. I found it comforting– like all the pain would eventually lead to something.

Stomach pains were stabbing at my insides every now and then and I relied on cold water to fend them off. The headache wouldn’t go away until well after dinner when I had finally left work.

Dinner was extremely late after Church and a trip to Urgent Care for the boyfriends’ ears, but while he cooked I squatted. I became frustrated when my quads kept doing all the work. I tried leaning back further to force my hamstrings and glutes to do more work and I fell over. Boyfriend just squatted in front of me like it was nothing and I got more frustrated because I couldn’t do it. His second critique of “Not bad” was pissing me off because it meant I wasn’t progressing and I wasn’t used to not progressing. I didn’t want to look like the chubby newb at the intro class on Saturday but Boyfriend assured me that I wouldn’t because my squats were actually good and I’m not going to be perfect right away. I did another few to finish out the set and proved that I could do a decent squat. I was still frustrated until dinner was ready. Three slider-sized hamburger patties and a steamed california mix of veggies and a good bunch of grapes.

Today, Friday, Boyfriend made up 5 eggs with southwest seasoning(thanks, penzeys!) and sliced strawberries. I’ll be going back to the salad-building place today for lunch and dinner is a mystery. I need to make up some more marinara for the remaining meatballs so I’ll probably do those for dinner with some vegetables and fruit. I have to go to the store. 

Tonight my goal is to drink all the water I can while at home. I start Crossfit bright and early at 8 a.m. in Tosa at Badger CrossFit. I’m extremely nervous for the class this Saturday even though I know I shouldn’t be. I just don’t want to try my hardest and realize I’m a total fuckup and I shouldn’t really be lifting heavy things over my head.


About Amanda

I knit only when I'm not drinking coffee, sleeping or lifting heaving things and putting them back down. I'm a freelance writer and I adore my job. I don't write about this, though I do and am obsessed with CrossFit. I eat Primal and love cooking. I write about both of these things. I greatly appreciate your feedback and comments! If you like what you've seen in my blogs, please feel free to message me here or on Ravelry, or e-mail me at I have patterns for sale! Go to Ravelry and search KnitEatLift and you'll find my patterns. The store is always growing and soon will have more patterns to purchase. I hope you enjoy them.

Posted on May 25, 2012, in CrossFit, Heavy Lifting, Paleo and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: